Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What I've Learned

Yesterday was our three year wedding anniversary. Brian and I got married March 29, 2008 at 4:00 p.m. I had the great honor of having the wedding of my dreams and having my family and friends present for the big day. This time three years ago we were on our way to Jamaica, where we had a blast. Today it is a dreary, rainy day and I am sitting at work - what a difference three years makes!

I have learned a lot in the three short years we have been married, here are a few that come to mind:

Brian doesn't know how to hang his towel up after taking a shower
He doesn't know that we have a closet, you know the place where you hang your clothes up and put your shoes up
He also doesn't know where the trash can is located in our house
He is however learning that we have a dish washer, but he hasn't quite gotten the hang of how to load it yet
He does not know how to make the bed up
He has no idea what our monthly budget is and I have given up on placing him on one
He thinks we only have two channels on our tv - the outdoor channel and ESPN
He does not like to travel, which he kept a secret until we got married
He can't stay awake to watch a movie to save his life

Oh, I am sure I can come up with lots more things, but even despite all these lovely qualities I love Brian more today than I could have possibly thought imaginable three years ago. Is that possible?

Marriage isn't about picking up after yourself (although that would be nice), it is about compromise and love and Brian does these unconditionally. He loves me for who I am, not who he wishes I could be. He accepts all of my faults and believe me I have a lot. I am just glad that Brian doesn't blog because then you would read the little things that I do that drive him nuts!

In short, I married Brian three years ago because he had become my best friend and of course I thought he was cute too. But in those three short years I realized something about him that I never knew - he is the most amazing Father to Hayden. He loves that little girl more than life itself and that my friend makes me happy. I knew he was good with kids, but to see him with her is something else entirely.

Brian and I aren't lovey dovey, that just isn't us - we like to pick on each other and make fun of each other, not in hurtful ways, but in fun ways. That's just us, it is how we work.

So what did we do for our 3rd anniversary? Well amazingly enough Brian washed the dishes for me after I cooked and while I was giving Hayden a bath, then we watched Elmo, while Brian fell asleep in the chair - HA!

We also exchanged gifts - sort of:
The traditional gifts for the 3rd anniversary are leather - if you remember we are doing this and by we I mean me.

So this year I got Brian a leather belt with silver AU logos on it and Brian got me, well Brian doesn't really do gifts so much either so this weekend we are going to the beach, just the two of us, and he said I can pick something out!

1 comment:

  1. Very Sweet! Happy Anniversary and have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete