Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sports is a Way of Life

Anyone that knows me, knows how much I love sports. I love playing them, watching them, just being of part of the action. Each season brings about a new sporting event and most of the time I am ready. Brian will probably disagree with my love for watching sports, but that is only because he watches them constantly, no matter what the sport or which team is playing and even though I profess my love for them, sometimes I just want to watch Gossip Girl, 90210, or Grey's Anatomy.

I have my seasons when I really am not that into any type of sporting event, but times are turning and right now I am finding myself looking forward to watching any and all events. I have learned to love some that I never would have given the chance prior to Brian. Let me explain what our house is like during a typical year - first I am married to a very manly, man - he loves sports and anything outdoorsy. That is all we watch, Brian even has to go to bed watching Sports Center and even though he is sound asleep, when I turn off the tv during the middle of the night, he wakes up the next morning wondering why he didn't wake up to Sports Center?!? Go figure, he probably dreams about this stuff. So on any given day, we are watching, college football, NFL, little league baseball, NCAA Softball, Nascar, Golf, Poker (of all things), MLB, High School football, college basketball, college baseball, etc., the list is endless. I love most of these, but for some reason I do not like watching high school football and I loathe watching the outdoor channel or anything remotely close to hunting shows. One of my pet peeves is hearing people whisper and on these silly hunting shows that is all they do - whisper! I guess they don't want the deer to hear them, but give me a break, don't take a camera in the woods and you don't have to worry about it. It makes me so sad to watch those poor animals get killed.

Since being married to Brian, I have come to love more of a variety of sporting events and I am thankful, because this allows us to watch tv together. We have great conversations during these events and I love spending quality time with him. I love all of the above sports - my favorite times of year are March Madness, the World Series (Go Yankees!!!), of course college football, little league world series is also fun to watch, college softball, NFL (this is very new for me and only this past weekend did I enjoy watching a game for the first time and only then it was because the team had former AU players). Most surprising to me of all these sports is the Poker World Series. Why is this weird you ask, because I have no idea how to play poker, I have no desire to ever learn and I can not for the life of me figure out what they are doing, but I love watching it. They wear sunglasses, which Brian has told me is so no one can see their eyes to tell when they are bluffing (to me this seems like cheating). If you have never watched this - you have no idea how much money is involved. They win millions of dollars for playing cards, it's the craziest thing I have ever watched.

For tonight, I am looking forward to watching Game 2 of the World Series - Come on Yankees, don't let me down two nights in a row. First Auburn, now the Yankees, ugh.

I have a dream list in my head, not on paper yet, and it has always included visiting as many MLB Stadiums as possible before I die. Brian and I talked about this last night and how cool to be able to do that one day. I have only been to three - Camden Yards, Turner Field and Yankee Stadium. Yet one more reason to head back to NYC for another trip, now I need to see the new Yankee Stadium and maybe even the Mets as well!!

1 comment:

  1. John wants to do that too - visit as many baseball stadiums as possible. We've only been to a few too! But although I love the Yankees, you must go to Fenway Park. We were there for a Red Sox game .. and really, it's the quintessential baseball stadium! Very awesome!

    ReplyDelete