Wednesday, January 12, 2011

1.10.11

January 10, 2011 - it was a day that started out just like so many others. I woke up and got ready, went and got Hayden up and we ate breakfast and began playing. We went about our normal routine for most of the day. It was a Monday and I was at home due to hazordous winter weather conditions. Some roads and bridges were iced over, so there was no sense in Brian or I risking anything to make our normal trek to work that day. We stayed home and stayed inside. We made a day out of it. We played together, ate together, and spent precious time together as a family.

But January 10, 2011 was a special day it was a day that will forever live in my mind, my heart, and in my memories. January 10, 2011 was to be the day the Auburn Tigers became the National Champions for the first time in my life, the first time in my 31 years on earth. I have spent every waking hour loving my Tigers, pulling for them, spending hard earned money on Auburn apparel, for myself, for Brian, for Maggie, and now for Hayden. I spent five years at Auburn University and I believe I am the person I am today because of the decisions I made while there. I am the first to tell you that I made plenty of mistakes, but God was with me the entire time and his plan for my life is more evident than I have ever seen and Auburn was clearly a major part of that process. I could go on and on about my time there, but I won't.

I remember vividly almost every game of 2004 - The Perfect Season, our dream team. But that year was different and we ended up being locked out of the BCS computers and were not allowed to play for the National Championship, but this year, THIS year was different. Auburn fought hard for every single win and some may say we barely survived some games, but looking back over the season, every game was a defining point for us.

I wish this post was about my experience in Glendale, AZ. But I didn't make it to the game this year. The timing was just off for us and Brian was scheduled to go out of town for work (which ended up not happening because of the weather)and obviously I didn't want to fly to Phoenix by myself, stay in a hotel by myself, and attend the game by myself, so I opted to stay home and pull for the Tigers on tv. Believe me I was there in spirit. I would have given anything, almost!!

I know some of you are reading this, thinking how dramatic is this post, how crazy to have these feelings. But if so, you just don't understand. You just don't get it! It may not be that important to you, and I can respect that. But to me, it is so much more than football. Auburn people are family and we all have that common thread that bonds us together. I know if you pull for another school I am sure you can say the same thing, but I am here to promise you it is different. You may not think so, but it is. I will leave it at that.

I have dreamed for years and years about having kids and growing up going to the games as we did, I watched during my years as a student there at all the little families that tailgate together and I thought how fun is that? I have desperately wanted that, we even took Hayden to her first game this year, first of many I know. We won't just limit it to football either. I am not just a football fan, I am an Auburn fan. And shortly after Hayden was born I had a long talk with her about my love for Auburn, I told her that if she decided to become an Auburn fan (although I have no idea how she would choose otherwise) that she should protect her heart because they will break it, as mine has been broken so many times. I hope she understands!

So I will end this by saying that January 10, 2011 was the day that #1 Auburn beat #2 Oregon 22-19 as time expired off the clock with a field goal by Wes Byrum in the most dramatic of fashion, but looking back over our Championship Season that was the perfect ending.

I leave you with a War Eagle - Family All In! I believe in Auburn and I love it!





2 comments: